Hi I’m Hayley, the Brit behind Backpacking Bookworm (my year 7 English teacher would be proud of this unintentional alliteration)… Welcome to my blog!
Rather than write a monologue about my life that I’m sure only my mum would read out of politeness, I thought I’d answer a few questions to help you get to know me better.
- Why Backpacking Bookworm?
I started @backpackingbookworm on Instagram in October 2017 to connect with other bookworms and share my love for reading and travel. Fast-forward to present day and I have written 0 posts on travel and spent more money that I care to imagine on buying more books than I can physically home. Hence I decided to create a blog! I wanted to incorporate my passion for travel with my love of books and keep them all in one place.. hence this not-so-simple WordPress blog that has given me sleepless nights for a month. Hurrah!
- Where are you from?
I am originally from the UK but I currently live in Berlin and have also lived in Sydney. Perks of having an Australian fiancee. Downside is we can’t really settle anywhere due to visa difficulties so we’re just trying a few places out before we make that big commitment.
- What do you like and dislike about living in Berlin?
– Practising my German (just kidding – this never happens).
– Living so close to other European countries (since we settled in Berlin we have visited a total of 0. But I like the idea of it).
– The shops are closed on Sundays. Yes that’s right. You cannot shop for food or books on a Sunday. I don’t know who enforced this stupid law but what else are you meant to do on Sundays if you can’t pop to the shops! It stresses me out.
– Paying 10 Euros to buy a library card (which I haven’t paid for). Hence I’m doing ‘read what you own’ for the foreseeable future. Probably not a bad thing.
- Tell us 3 facts about yourself.
– I have a slight addiction to buying online courses off Groupon. At this moment in time, I have qualifications in wedding planning, accounting, event managing, forensic profiling and writing story books for children (at least that one might come in handy).
– In college, I was voted ‘scariest driver’ by my year group after having a few run-ins with stationary objects. I’m happy to say my driving has since improved (in my opinion).
– I take my studies very seriously. For my very important 10,000 word University dissertation, I wrote the entire thing on One Direction. Guilty.
- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A librarian, a window dresser or a litter picker. A varied mix, I’d say…
- As an adult, what do you want to be when you grow up?
OK so technically 25 is an adult but I feel like I still have plenty of time to answer this question. My dream job would be either an author, a book reviewer or a publisher. Or a person who tastes pancakes for a living. Whichever crops up first.
That should do it. If by any chance you are interested in finding out more about my questionable life choices, you can hit me up at @backpackingbookworm