Hi I’m Hayley, the Brit behind Backpacking Bookworm. Welcome to my blog🎉
Rather than write a monologue about my life that I’m sure only my mum would read out of politeness, I thought I’d answer a few questions to help you get to know me better.
- Why Backpacking Bookworm?
I started @backpackingbookworm on Instagram in October 2017 to connect with other bookworms and share my love for reading and travel. Fast-forward to the present day and I have written 0 posts on travel and spent more money than I care to imagine buying more books than I can physically home. Hence I decided to create a blog. I wanted to incorporate my passion for travel with my love of books and keep them all in one place… hence this not-so-simple WordPress blog that has given me sleepless nights for a month. Hurrah!
- Where are you from?
I am originally from the UK but I currently live in Melbourne and have also lived in Glasgow, Berlin, and Sydney.
- What did you like and dislike about living in Berlin?
– Practicing my German (just kidding – this never happened).
– Living so close to other European countries (since we settled in Berlin we visited a total of zero. But I liked the idea of it).
– The shops were closed on Sundays. Yes, that’s right. You could not shop for food or books on a Sunday. I don’t know who enforced this weird law but what else are you meant to do on Sundays if you can’t pop to the shops? It stressed me out.
– Paying 10 Euros to buy a library card (which I didn’t). Hence embarked on ‘read what you own’ for the foreseeable future. Probably not a bad thing.
- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A librarian, a window dresser, or a litter picker. A varied mix, I’d say…
- As an adult, what do you want to be when you grow up?
OK so technically 27 is an adult but I feel like I still have plenty of time to answer this question. My dream job would be either an author, a book reviewer, or a publisher. Or a person who tastes pancakes for a living. Whichever crops up first.
That should do it. If by any chance you are interested in finding out more about my questionable life choices, you can hit me up at @backpackingbookworm.